Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

The Dunphys, Madonna, and Parents Going Viral

I like Modern Family. It’s good for some laughs, and laughing at parenting mistakes makes me feel less like an idiot when I make my own.

I can’t stop thinking about the Dunphys. In a recent Modern Family episode Phil and the kids (Haley, Alex and Luke) helped Claire prep for a town council debate.

Trying to help her appear more likeable, Phil and the kids gave Claire a list of things she shouldn’t do. The list was long. Haley even urged her not to go viral. Claire responded, “OK, I’ll add that to my list of things not to do: don’t touch my face, don’t roll my eyes, don’t point my fingers and definitely don’t go viral. Do any of you still believe in me?” I do Claire, I do.

Poor Claire tried to stop herself from making mistakes during the debate, but the jerky motions she made as she caught herself pointing and all made her appear crazier than she is. It was hilarious. When her husband stepped up to help her they both ended up on the web. Aw, they went viral together.

Within days I was running on the treadmill and “Justify My Love” started. The iPod was on pop mix, so it’s not really my choice. Some algorithm probably picked it because it was Tuesday.

Anyway, I debated changing the song. Then I thought Madonna’s a mom too. What are her kids going to think when they see her videos? Will they see “Justify My Love” too? I mean, they’re online for everyone to see. Lourdes is old enough, she’s probably seen something by now, but is she embarrassed about how crazy her mom looks doing kinky stuff to/for the camera? Does it matter? I don’t know.

I do know this. No matter how hard we try, we’re going to embarrass our kids, like our parents embarrassed us. Or so we thought at the height of our teen angst years when they dropped us off and picked us up at the mall, and at school dances. It happens much earlier these days.

Why not come clean now? You could try something like, “Kids, before you are caught off-guard in Kindermusik, mommy has some things to share…and that’s how I ended up with Justin Bieber on YouTube.” It’s that easy.

Man, I’m glad we didn’t have video-equipped cell phones when I was young, or I’d have a lot of explaining to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...