Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Twenty Twelve: More than Poo and Patty-Cake

Okay, this year, just this past week in fact, I’ve been thinking about resolutions. Normally, I don’t make a big deal out of them. If you read last year’s list, you might remember I outlined a plan to enjoy more family time and cupcakes in 2011, and I did just that. We even (sort of) met our goal for prepping the house for baby #2. What counts is that we made it to the hospital, just in time.

Now that we’ve got two kids it seems important to do something, well, more. I want to show them the importance of personal goal setting. Sure, they’re babies, but it’s a Tiger-Mom kinda world and they need to know mommy thinks about more than just poo and patty-cake.

I know, I know, motherhood is about so much more than that, but let’s be real; sometimes that’s what it feels like.

So I sat and thought. And thought some more, but then got bored and hungry. After a break, it hit me. It was time to search the web to see if anybody else had some resolutions that might inspire me.

While laughing, crying and shaking my head ‘yes, yes’ many times, I realized it would take some time, but I had to make some resolutions. Some goals I’d really enjoy.

I thought about writing goals, family goals and life lists for ‘The Twelve’ (it’s growing on me) and beyond. This work-in-progress is in no particular order, but at least it’s a start, right? :)

1.    Take our girl ice skating
2.    Enjoy a hike with our kids
3.    Date nights, plural
4.    Learn to ski cross country
5.    Get new bikes, then bike
6.    Picnic and beach fun with family
7.    Romantic Getaway with Hubby
8.    Start my veggie garden again
9.    Handwrite one letter a month
10. Finish novel
11. Publish novel
12. See more movies in the theater
13. Let the kids get dirty more
14. Get dirty with the kids, maybe make mud pies
15. Take more bubble baths (see 14)
16. Eat more ice cream
17. Eat more veggies
18. Exercise more (see 16 and 17)
19. Drive the California Coast in a convertible on sunny day
20. Plant a tree with our kids
21. Concert with Hubby
22. Take Grandma to a baseball game
23. See ALMS race with Hubby
24. See F1 race with Hubby
25. Myrtle Beach Family Style
26. Take our girl to see Mamma Mia
27. Take executive driving course and learn to do a J-turn
28. Tour Wine Country
29. Visit Vancouver
30. Visit friends in Germany
31. Tour Italy
32. Landmarks and Places to visit once or again:
·      Mackinac
·      Grand Hotel
·      Pebble Beach
·      Redwood Forest
·      Golden Gate
·      Pearl Harbor
·      Mount Vernon
·      The Capitol
·      Cumberland
·      Grand Canyon
·      Yellowstone
·      Yosemite
·      Mammoth Cave
·      Mount Rainier
·      St. Augustine
·      St. Andrews
·      Louvre
·      Stonehenge
·      Pyramids
33. Visit these restaurants once or again:
·      Citronelle, Michel Richard, Washington, D.C.
·      Del Posto, New York, Bastianich and Batali
·      Publican, Chicago
·      Everest, Chicago
·      Ad Hoc, Napa
·      Cut, Beverly Hills, Puck
·      Old Ebbitt Grill, Washington, D.C.
·      Restaurant August, New Orleans, Besh

Wow, that got longer than I expected. I better get moving! Happy January!

What's on your list?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...