Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Are you a Twi-hard, a Hunger-ling or both?

I have to say that I’ve been meaning to comment on the Hunger Games movie that debuted a few days ago, but I’ve been busy entertaining family. Or, they’ve been entertaining me, not sure, maybe a little of both.

Since comparisons are being made, it’s about time to speak up.

What did I want to say about the Hunger Games movie? Go. See. It. Not because I previewed it or will have time to see it before it hits the dollar theater, although I’ve talked about it at least ten times a day for the past week. I think it’s worth seeing because (IMO) the movie is based on a really great book. Suzanne Collins crafts this dystopian society where children, a boy and a girl, from 12 districts outside of the opulent and controlling Capitol are selected each year to fight to the death in the Hunger Games. It’s interesting, it’s political, it’s gut wrenching and it’s good. That’s all I will say, you should read it then see the movie, especially if you like a little more sci-fi.

I also wanted to say there are a few important changes that might irk some Hunger-lings. In an Entertainment Weekly (EW) story I read recently (and found more online), it sounded like the moviemakers were trying to convince themselves as much as the public that the story changes and cuts they made were crucial to keeping the movie at an acceptable length and budget.

Today, I saw a twitter post from EW outlining more differences between the book and movie. The author also gave an opinion of what worked and what didn’t. It’s good, but subjective, so if you’re interested you can check it out.

Now, I liked the Twilight saga too. I read a lot and since I spend most days neck deep in diapers and drool, any romance, action or departure from reality, between the hours of midnight and 3 am when I finally get some me-time, is a welcome escape. I don’t think you need to compare them, but go ahead if you want, USA Today does. Three main characters, a female and two suitors, sure. But, beyond that, I say enjoy them for what they are, stories.

If you are a fan of both, plan to be busy this Thanksgiving holiday and next. Twi-hards can see the final installment of the series when Breaking Dawn Part 2 hits theaters this Nov. 16. And Hunger-lings will be hungry waiting until Nov. 22, 2013, for the second story in the Hunger Games trilogy, Catching Fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...