Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sentimental Journey

It might sound funny, but I’m sentimental over a web site. It happens, happened, to be a family web site we built and maintained for years. In place as an online scrapbook for so long, it became a habit to populate with major milestones and everyday thoughts. It’s the place I started blogging.

About a year ago, Apple said it was going away. I knew it, but I didn’t want to admit the end was coming. Today is it. The last day iWeb, Mobile Me and a few other services are available. Apple is not in the web site business anymore. So we have to shut our family web site down.

Even with a long hiatus for work and family, knowing it existed as an archive of our family moments, our holidays and our vacations meant something. Sure, I packed it up, but who knows if we’ll go to the trouble of hosting it somewhere else.

As part of saying goodbye, I looked through the 24 photo albums, numerous blog posts and updates. It’s amazing to see how much we’ve all grown in four plus years. Incredible to look back and reminisce. I am sentimental, but my husband reminded me how much I enjoyed creating and sharing those moments. It forced us to take pictures and write the stories of how our family and our garage grew.

So, after reflecting on so many wonderful moments and clearing files, it’s time to shut the program one last time and get some rest.

Looking at our history, I’ve gained a new appreciation for how quickly kids develop. Soon, it’ll be time to make a plan and record those special moments some other way. Then we can look back in a couple years and remember just how little our kids were and just how far we’ve come as a family. Maybe someday our kids will be able to look back and appreciate it as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...