Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sweet Week - Wednesday Wisdom

We've been in a seemingly endless cycle of sleep, wake, wash, school, work, with some variations on feeding, cleaning, and shoveling (mostly snow). I've got major deadlines; a family on the brink of colds, but powering through since our girl is student of the week; and piles of snow and laundry taking over our house inside and out. Who has time to shower, plan meals, or participate in school parties? I actually contemplated not going to the school Valentine Party. (Oh, no!) This is shocking because it's a big deal to my kid, and Heart Day crafts are pretty cool. 

I'd just about given up on the whole party parent thing, and was planning either a drive-by or a full-on escape, which would have required a careful explanation to our daughter since she's probably expecting me there. Instead, another mom e-mailed the group to say her son got sick and she needed someone to take over the craft she planned for the party. 

Within minutes of receiving her message I had these thoughts. How awful, her son is sick. Great, he puked in my kid's class. I hope he's okay. I hope he didn't spray any of the other kids. Gee, I feel bad for her, she sounds really stressed. I'm stressed too, but my kid didn't hork up lunch, sure I'll help. 

The way this played out reminds me of a post circulating the web a year or so ago with the caption, "If a toddler hands you a ringing toy phone…you answer that s*!t." Someecards has one, if you want to see it/share it. I should never have thought I could 'skip' or 'skate' through a kid party, especially not one my kid is psyched about. And when a mom with a sick kid needs help. What do you do? Step up, of course and answer that phone, e-mail, or whatever!

So, I'm now signed up for a crafty craft. Although, it's below freezing (still) and I've got to find craft supplies. Then proceed to unwrap, draw, cut and organize these things in about a day to make it to the party on time. At least I'm doing my part to help. If it works out the kids will enjoy Valentine's Day and mine will think I'm pretty awesome. 

The countdown is on, cheers! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...